Saturday, July 18, 2009

paintbrush...


Trying to clear my head... I unearthed my sketchpad from my clutter box, and wash my very old ( but very reliable* ) paintbrushes, to aid me in irradicating some unwanted energy that apparently, is doing a great job blocking my creative chi'. ( I really need to finish my portfolio* )

As I was sketching, a few lines on a clear sheet, an outlet of boredom in my opinion... my niece, invited herself and grab one of my relic-like paintbrush and ask me if she could have a paper and maybe use some of the color tubes.


Seeing the determination so well-written all over her angelic face, I immediately gave her a clean sheet, toss her some of the color tubes and gave her my plastic palette...and a hand towel. ( Her mother, my sister, has OCD. I wouldn't want to argue with her about hygiene issues esp. concerning her daughter. That's the least thing I would want for this day... )




And then what happened next amazes me.





With such precision, she held the brush in her tiny hands, as if it is like a Princess magic wand, and started dabbling, combining colors from blue, green to yellow... It took my breath away.



My niece, this 5 year old bag of headache and mischief, is a genius! ( at least by my standards* ) I love how she played with the colors...How consistent her strokes are, and her attention to details is amazing! It is a common fact that every kid has in them, this creativity but it amazes me how it unfolded in front of my eyes.

It was just a clean, neat sheet of vast nothingness moments earlier, then by the hands of a 5 year old manipulative-little-primadonna, there it was! A work of art. How truly amazing!

So I ask my niece.

" Honey, what we're you thinking when you were painting?"...


and then without delay she said...

" I don't know. I just paint. I love to paint nanay ( her term of endearment to me ). It is fun to paint!!! ". And then she chuckled away, her terrain of thought on the painting.

Embarrassed... I just realized that I shouldn't be worrying about things like, deadlines or finishing certain task because I have to jump to another...it makes no sense at all! How stupid of me.

It took a 5 year old person to make me realize that, in whatever I do, I shouldn't forget what makes it so worthwhile... the JOY and HAPPINESS that it gave me.




I love :puppyeyes:to paint too... I just need to remember it.


Thank you, niece...








No comments:

Post a Comment